Your workday may feel like it is too lengthy at times, but in reality, there usually aren’t enough hours in the day to get your work done without putting in overtime. However, with continuous technological improvements there are new ways that you can improve your workflow and “hack” your day, so to speak, so you can be more productive and accomplish more in the same amount of time.
Here are 10 ways to help you begin the process and get more from your workdays.
- Create a schedule and stick to it – When you have your day scheduled and planned out, you free yourself up. You will know what needs to be done and when you must do it, and these “deadlines” you set for yourself keep you in line.
- Clear your desk – A clean desk makes it easier for you to focus on the task at hand. Spend a few minutes to empty that inbox and remove the junk that is scattered around your desk. It can make a big difference in saving you time later on in the day.
- Utilize templates – Do you find yourself sending similarly common email messages time and time again? Build a database of templates so that all you have to do is drop in names, numbers ad bits of information to fit the email to the situation. You’ll save lots of time typing out long messages everyday.
- Scan commonly accessed documents – Instead of sorting through the same paperwork time and time again, scan it so that you have digital files that are easier to access—saving you time and space. On the go? No problem, there are mobile scanners for that too!
- Use a file sharing system – Using a program like Dropbox will make it easy to access your files on any device. Instead of storing your files on your hard drive, Dropbox allows you to store documents and files in the cloud so you can access them from your desktop, laptop, smartphone and work computer—a big time and stress saver.
- Check email once per day – Instead of “jumping” to check email every time you hear the notification, schedule time in your day to check it once or twice. This will save you time throughout your day.
- Automate – If you use social media as a work-related tool, figure out ways that you can automate these networks to save time. It is possible to schedule posts, automatically “like and comment” and other tasks.
- Take advantage of downtime – Use downtime to clear out your email inbox, take notes and do those little tasks that see to escape you. It’s a better use of your time than playing another game of Candy Crush.
- Focus – There are a number of apps available that can make it easier for you to focus. Mind42 is a free mindmapping app that will help you get focused on what needs to get done. Other apps are available that can help you by shutting off access to social networking or other distractions for a certain amount of time.
- Relax – Take time for you. Even though you may have many tasks to complete, schedule breaks for yourself. If you are relaxed you will be able to accomplish more with the time you have.